Saturday, April 1, 2017

So, our neighborhood was up in arms over an extension of the Rachel Carson trail right through the woods behind us.  The dirt path appeared about 30' off the back of our property about a week ago.

So, today I decided to try it out for a run.  

The trail meanders in the woods along Northwest branch creek.  About a third of a mile from our house, a significant bridge takes you north on the poplar run trail, which is supposed to connect to the Mathew Henson trail, which goes all the way to my work in Rockville.

Instead of following that, I followed the Rachel Carson trailhead to Randolph.  

About a half mile before hitting Randolph, the trail ended.   Flags were planted to mark the trail, so I ran through the woods chasing them until I hit Randolph, then headed back.  Didn't measure, but I am guessing about 1.25-1.5 miles to Randolph.  After crossing the street (or slumming through the tunnel under Randolph), you can take the Rachel Carsom trail all the way into DC.

Just when you start thinking about giving up running, fate drops 25+ miles of trail running right outside your back door.  Can't ignore signs like that :)

Going to head north tomorrow to see where that goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment